While working in Sudan, my supervisor consistently reminded the team, "Keep the Main Thing, the main thing!" Meaning, keep Jesus the main focus of what you're doing.
Today I am reminded how easy it is to become distracted in the daily 'ins and outs' of life, even in ministry. Becoming so focused on getting a promotion at work, making more money, feeding the hungry, hosting life-impacting events, doing street ministry, and even fundraising...can easily distract us from what is truly important. Fact is, when we leave Jesus out of the equation we are only applying a band-aid to the situation or life. It might be good, it might help the people around you, but only momentarily. Jesus is the only one who will change a life, an eternity, forever.
While in Sudan, I was a teacher. I LOVED what I did, I LOVED every child that I taught, and I gave all the LOVE I could wring out of me to impact the lives of kids I knew were hurting. I tried many ways to love them and make them feel the value I knew they had....I used to cry myself to sleep at night because my heart hurt for the children who were in abusive homes, neglected, and told they had little value because of their gender or disability. I was at my wits end on what to do to help these children and one night while crying out to God, He gently spoke to my heart: "Holly, they don't need a mother figure....they need me." I had become so focused on loving them and telling them how much value they had (which is not bad), but neglected to fully share with them the only One who could bring healing to their hurt and wholeness to their brokenness. The realization that I was doing good, but missing the 'mark' stung at my heart, but it's truth sank deep and branded the way I think. Friends, do not think that I am telling you we should not do great things, strive for the best, or help the hurting....but remember to keep the Main Thing, the main thing. Remember to keep Jesus the main focus of all we are doing.
....because He is the only one who can do everything about anything.
No comments:
Post a Comment