Saturday, May 26, 2012

Hill of Beans

In 2010 I was working 3 different jobs, volunteering at Convoy of Hope and going to school. I was one busy girl. Yet in the midst of this busy season, God began birthing a dream in my heart--Start a coffee shop.

Missions had always been my heart's desire and starting a coffee shop just didn't seem to fit into this plan. The more I tried to push this idea away, the stronger it became until I eventually started entertaining the idea. Researching costs, designing kiosks, and sketching up a logo consumed most of my free time but in the end the cost of everything forced me to put down this dream.

I remember praying, "Lord, I don't understand this intense desire to open a coffee shop AND to work in missions. I don't see how they will work together for me...I give these details to you. Use them as you want!" That very week I met with Charles and Tahnya Porter who invited me to do my internship with them in Tanzania. I asked him what they would have me do and he said, "Whatever you want! If you could do anything, what would it be?" My immediate response was to open a coffee shop (which I said with a roll of the eye knowing they would probably laugh). Charles and Tahnya looked at each other and told me they had been praying about opening up one for years, but didn't have anyone to lead it.

Two years after that dream birthed in my heart, I am now helping to open a ministry coffee shop in Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. THIS is what the Lord had in mind when He purposefully placed that dream in my heart. I came across some of my original notes for my coffee kiosk. "Hill of Beans" was the name I thought of to mean that what little efforts I have will amount to something. Giving to missions was the heartbeat. Full circle. Dream fulfilled.


4 comments:

  1. when Charles asked me to help design the coffee shop, one of the ideas was glass top coffee tables and the underside are coffee beans in a shallow tray round the edges....!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. VERY cool!!!! Can't wait to see it and how awesome that it ties in with the theme I was going to have before! Thanks for all your hard work with the decorating! I'm sure it's going to look amazing!

      Delete
  2. This is amazing Holly! And i had no idea the Porters with in Tanzania!
    Praying for this project and God bless you through all you are doing.

    ReplyDelete